|John Quincy Adams|
6th President of the United States
John Quincy Adams
Vice President: John C. Calhoun (1825-29)
Born: July 11, 1767, in Braintree (now Quincy), Massachusetts
Died: February 23, 1848, in Washington, D.C.
Education: Graduated from Harvard College (1787)
Political Party: Democratic-Republican
Nickname(s): "Old Man Eloquent"
Other Government Positions:
- Secretary to U.S. Minister to Russia, 1781
- Minister to the Netherlands, 1794
- Minister to Prussia, 1797-1801
- United States Senator, 1803-08
- Minister to Russia, 1809-11
- Peace Commissioner at Treaty of Ghent, 1814
- Secretary of State, 1817-25 (under Monroe)
- Member of U.S. House of Representatives, 1831-48
Presidential Salary: $25,000/year
- First President to be the son of another President.
- First President whose father lived to see him become president.
- First President to have a son marry at the White House.
- First President elected despite receiving fewer votes than his opponent.
- First President to not win a majority of electoral votes.
- First President to have facial hair.
- First President to have been inaugurated wearing long trousers instead of knee breeches.
- First President to serve in Congress after serving in the Presidency.
- First President to be succeeded by a President older than him.
- First President to have been Ambassador to the Netherlands, Germany, and Russia.
Post a Comment
A website of Presidential Facts and Trivia