4th President of the United States
1809-1817Vice President (s): George Clinton (1809-12)
Elbridge Gerry (1813-14)
Born: March 16, 1751, in Port Conway, Virginia
Died: June 28, 1836, at Montpelier, Virginia
Education: Graduated from College of New Jersey (now Princeton University; 1771)
Political Party: Democratic-Republican
Nickname(s): "Father of the Constitution"
Other Government Positions:
- Member of Virginia Constitutional Convention, 1776
- Member of Continental Congress, 1780-83
- Member of Virginia Legislature, 1784-86
- Member of Constitutional Convention, 1787
- Member of U.S. House of Representatives, 1789-97
- Secretary of State, 1801-09 (under Jefferson)
Presidential Salary: $25,000
- First President to have served in the United States House of Representatives
- First President to ask Congress for a Declaration of War.
- First President to serve as a war-time Commander-in-Chief.
- First President to have an Inaugural ball.
- First President to wear long trousers instead of knee breeches.
- First President to issue a pocket veto.
- First President to succeed another president without serving as vice president.
- First President to have the same vice president as his predecessor.
- First President to have a vice president die while in office.
- First President to have two Vice Presidents (George Clinton and Elbridge Gerry) die in office.
- First President to have a parent live throughout his presidency