27th President of the United States
1909 - 1913
Vice President: James S. Sherman (1909-12)
Born: September 15, 1857, in Cincinnati, Ohio
Died: March 8, 1930, in Washington, D.C.
Education: Graduated from Yale College (1878); Cincinnati Law School (1880)
Political Party: Republican
Other Government Positions:
- Judge in Ohio Superior Court, 1887-90
- U.S. Solicitor General, 1890-92 U.S.
- Circuit Court Judge, 1892-1900
- Governor of the Philippines, 1901-04
- Secretary of War, 1904-08 (under T. Roosevelt)
- Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, 1921-30
Presidential Salary: $75,000
Taft served as solicitor general from 1890 to 1892. He became president in 1909.
Arizona and New Mexico were admitted to the Union under his presidency.
Taft left office as president in 1913. He was appointed chief justice in 1921, by President Warren Harding. As chief justice, he administered the oath of office to Calvin Coolidge and Herbert Hoover.
He was also the first member of the Supreme Court to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery upon his death in 1930.