17th President of the United States
Vice President: none
Born: December 29, 1808, in Raleigh, North Carolina
Died: July 31, 1875, in Carter's Station, Tennessee
Career/Occupation: Tailor, Public Official
Religion: No Formal Affiliation
Education: No Formal Education
Political Party: Democratic
Other Government Positions:
- Served as Alderman of Greeneville, Tennessee, 1830-33
- Elected Mayor of Greeneville, Tennessee, 1834
- Member of Tennessee State Legislature, 1835-43
- Member of U.S. House of Representatives, 1843-53
- Governor of Tennessee, 1853-57
- United States Senator, 1857-62
- Military Governor of Tennessee, 1862-65
- Vice President, 1865 (under Lincoln)
- United States Senator, 1875
Presidential Salary: $25,000
- The first president to ascend to the presidency by the assassination of his predecessor.
- The first president to be impeached by the House of Representatives.
- The first president to serve in the United States Senate after being president.
- The first president to have been mayor of a town, having been mayor of Greeneville, Tennessee.
- The first president to issue more than twenty vetoes.
- The first president to have more than ten vetoes overridden.