Vice President: George M Dallas
Born: November 2, 1795, in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
Died: June 15, 1849, in Nashville, Tennessee
Education: Graduated from the University of North Carolina (1818)
Political Party: Democrat
Nickname(s): "Young Hickory"
Other Government Positions:
Member of Tennessee House of Representatives, 1823-25
Member of U.S. House of Representatives, 1825-39
Speaker of the House, 1835-39
Governor of Tennessee, 1839-41
Presidential Salary: $25,000
- First President to be elected to the office before reaching the age of 50
- First President to be under the age of 50 upon entering office.
- First President to have served as Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- First President born in North Carolina.
- First President to be a Methodist. He was baptized as a Methodist one week before he died.
- First President to be elected despite losing his states of birth and residence.
- First President to be nominated by his party as a dark horse.
- Polk's nomination was the first time that news of a Presidential was widely disseminated using the telegraph. Polk's nomination was widely disseminated using the telegraph. The first time this had been done.
- First President not to seek re-election upon the completion of his one term.
- First President to die before reaching the age of 60.
- First President to predecease a parent
- First President not to keep a pet during his term in office